Throughout the process of this film I’ve created quite of bit of production art just so I know what I’m doing. I’ve gone through a few style changes during the course of the film but for this post I’m focusing on the final style design. If you’re interested in what the film used to look like please check out the visual development tab. Many people find pieces like this to be borring and incomplete but I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed the rough processes for art, especially when it comes to layouts. When you see a finished frame it’s easy to forget all the work that went into making it look effortless. I share with you a small portion of that work in this post.
Well everyone, I have finally finished my first short film, “The Wishing Fountain”. It has been a long year-and-a-half journey but I feel that I’ve grown so much as an artist because of it. I’ve recently just submitted the film to Annecy 2013 and I eagerly await the results of my submission there. Over this spring break I will be submitting the film to a number of different festivals as well but I am keeping my fingers crossed for Annecy. Until the film is out of the festival circuit I can’t show it in its entirety online but I have attached some still frames to this post and will be releasing some sneak peek footage soon as well a ton of production art I produced during the creation of the film. Stay classy readers and have a fantastic day.
After about a months worth of studying light, values and colors I feel I have created the mood I was trying to achieve since the very beginning of my layout phase. I thought I could just jump in and throw down some backgrounds but I was severely mistaken. Background layouts take an incredible amount of time and energy just to begin to look effortless. Lesson learned. I’ve included my latest version of Scene 1 as well as its early layout sketches. Stay tuned for more to come!
After showing some of my screen shots to my professor, peers and even my mom they all had the same question in mind. “Ummm where is the light coming from?” Well in my old blueprint layouts I left the light source for the cave more open ended so that I could light certain scenes more “artistically” but evaluating things now I feel that the cave environment needs a strong more simplified light source. I am currently working on this now by first creating a new blueprint layout that includes a strong directional light and then by darkening other tones in the film to emphasize the main source of light. This shouldn’t take more than a couple of days to complete at this stage of development. I’m glad I showed my work to people and was able to catch my mistakes early in the final layout process. I’ve included some drawings from the legendary Paul Felix and Hans Bacher so you can see how clear I want my light sources to be. I’ll have the revamped layouts soon so stay tuned.
Its been a while since my last update so for all those concerned please know that I am alive and well. I’ve finished all of my layout sketches and have already plunged into finishing scenes with final colors and backgrounds. I would have posted something earlier but I’ve just been too busy on the grind with this film. Its been a quite a long time coming but I feel the final look of this short far surpasses what I could’ve done nearly a year ago when I started this project. In this post I have a included a video showing three finished scenes at random. If I stick to schedule I should have all the visuals done by mid September. I hope you enjoy what I have here and I’ve also put some new things in the Vis-Dev page so be sure to check that out before you browse to other online interests.
I finally finished all the animation and scene revisions that my teachers and peers suggest and edited the film back together. This has taken me about 2 months but I feel that the film has improved exponentially from it. Honestly now if I wanted to I could turn the short into a real film festival. Granted, it would have to be a festival that praised films with inconsistent ugly backgrounds and no sound but a festival none the less! Now I’m finally working on the fun stuff. THE BACKGROUNDS and such. I’m currently doing layout sketches for each scene so I can have something solid to go off when I start digital painting. I’m also exploring some new fun shapes to depict the icebergs and rocks in the cave to give it a bit more pizaaas (I guess that’s how you spell it). I have a few of my rough personal sketches up in this post and I’ll have all the clean layouts before the end of the month. Thanks for checking out another installment of “The Wishing Fountain Blog” dum dum duuum.